Current 2012 year total of bird species:

211 (most recent addition: Dickcissel, June 2 2012)

Life bird total:

470 (most recent edition: Black Rail, June 2 2012)

2012 Black Bear count:

32

Monday, April 30, 2012

2 minutes late and a dollar short

The regular saying goes "a day late and a dollar short" but yesterday I was 2 minutes late, and I guess you could say a dollar short.  Here's the story:

My dad and I were walking our dog on the roads near our house yesterday evening at dusk when "whip-poor-will whip-poor-will whip-poor-will whip-poor-will" sounded off.  An Eastern Whip-poor-will, a new year bird!  I was ecstatic for the time being, until I remembered that EWPW would be a new "year bird", and an important one, the 100th species that I heard or saw from my yard.  I sprinted to my driveway, a 2 minute dash at most until I set foot on our property, now I could count the bird if it called again.  I waited, and waited some more.  Come on whip, just call one more time!  I waited at least 10 minutes, even played tapes, but to no avail.

Yard bird # 100 will just have to wait for another day.

Happy birding,

Gabriel

No comments:

Post a Comment