Current 2012 year total of bird species:

211 (most recent addition: Dickcissel, June 2 2012)

Life bird total:

470 (most recent edition: Black Rail, June 2 2012)

2012 Black Bear count:

32

Friday, February 3, 2012

April in February

It's a beautiful sunny and warm day here in New Hope Virginia.  It's a balmy 50 degrees but with calm wind and full sun it feels much warmer.  It surely doesn't feel like Feb. 3rd!

Once in a while I see one of the resident kestrels dive-bomb a Red-tailed Hawk.  Today I was fortunate to see the resident adult male kestrel dive-bomb a  Red-tail right above our house!  Beautiful.  I'm never sure why the kestrels dive-bomb red-tails (if it was a Merlin, well, then I'd know!) but I figure it's because red-tails might eat kestrels so the kestrels want to get the red-tails "out!"

I did a feeder watch count yesterday-today, not much interesting but a pair of cowbirds was a bit of a surprise.

I'll make a post on Sunday evening, because I have a fun weekend coming up.  Will be going on a bird walk and meeting with fellow Monticello Bird Club board member tomorrow, and Sunday will be guiding someone from Front Royal around looking for new "Virginia birds" for him.

I have a photo of the kestrel-red-tail encounter but it's having trouble loading now.  I will post it later.


Gabriel

No comments:

Post a Comment