Current 2012 year total of bird species:

211 (most recent addition: Dickcissel, June 2 2012)

Life bird total:

470 (most recent edition: Black Rail, June 2 2012)

2012 Black Bear count:

32

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Time to CATCH UP!

I've been very busy lately and haven't found time to post until now.  

I'll review this past Saturday through today.  On Saturday I went on a bird walk at Ivy Creek Natural Area over in Charlottesville with the Monticello Bird Club.  We had some nice birds including some of my best-ever looks at Pileated Woodpecker but no too unusual birds.  On Sunday I guided James Fox from Front Royal around Augusta County.  We had a TERRIFIC day spotting Lark Sparrow, Red-headed Woodpecker, Rough-legged Hawk, 3 Bald Eagles, and my year and fairly out-of-season Brown Thrasher.  

Early week was rather uneventful but yesterday was a great day.  We went on a morning bird walk with the Rockingham Bird Club.  We saw lots of great birds, 23 species in all, with the sure highlight being my year Fox Sparrow which gave great looks!  After that we went out to our friend's property.  She has an amazing property chock full of great birds!  I was very pleased to find Rusty Blackbirds and my first-of-year Pine Siskins.

Today I did day one of a feeder watch count highlighted by goldfinches returning to my yard after a few weeks of absence.  Welcome back goldfinches!

With recent additions of Brown Thrasher, Fox Sparrow, and Pine Siskin my 2012 year list is 95 species.

Sometime in the near future I'll post some photos from recently.  

Cheers,

Gabriel

No comments:

Post a Comment